Hiring Swimming Pool Contractors
|By: Glenn Whitehead |
Selecting a contractor for repairs to your pool or to install a new one is a big decision that requires a good deal of planning and research. Making the wrong choice could easily cost you a significant amount of money, and damage to your property or home. The following tips should help you in making the best decision and protecting your interests.
- GetReferrals-It's always best to try and contact companies that have been recommended by someone you know. This is true of any service business. Talk to friends, neighbors, and co-workers to find out about their experiences. You may not find your contractor, but it's a good starting place.
- Check Licensing-Depending on the area you live, contractors may be required to have a license. Check with your state and local governments to find out what the requirements are in your area.
- Check Insurance-Making sure potential candidates carry proper and current insurance is a must when hiring a pool contractor. This is an expensive purchase with the potential to cause large damages to your property or your neighbors. Have the provide a certificate that names you as an additional insured and check with the insurer to be sure it's valid.
- Beware of Large Deposits-Most contractors will require a deposit or down payment prior to beginning work. If you've done the proper amount of checking and homework; this should not be a problem. However, I would avoid giving large sums to hold a spot on a waiting list. You may get stuck waiting for several months with no recourse other than forfeiting your money. If a company is so busy that they have a waiting list; it shouldn't be a problem tofill the spot should someone back out.
- Check References and Background-Ask the potential contractors for a list of at least 5 recent references in your area, the cal the customers and question them. If possible ask them if you can come see the work. The fact is; most people never call references. So companies are not that careful who they put on the list. A great source for unbiased reviews of service companies is Angie'List. For a few dollars a month you can get access to thousands of reviews on everything from plumbers and electricians, to mechanics and doctors. The thing I really like about it is; they are not affiliated with the contractors, eliminating that conflict.
Find the best swimming pool contractors in your area
. Get unbiased reviews from homeowners just like you. Check Out Angie's List Do It Yourself Swimming Pool Care Save Big Money! Keep Your Pool Sparkling Like a Pro Find Out How! DIY Pool Maintenance
Save Thousands on Home Repairs and Improvements
Get the Home of Your Dreams for a Fraction Of the Cost
Learn how you can manage your own project, using the same strategies as the pros to find the best deals on materials, negotiate with subcontractors, and much more.
Click Here for More Information
return to Swimming Pools from Swimming Pool Contractors
go to YourselfHomeRepair.com homepage