Finding the Right Roofing Contractors
By: Glenn Whitehead
Finding roofing contractors for your home is one of the most important decisions you'll make with regard to home repair. To begin with, it's going to be an expensive job; so you'll want to do some comparison-shopping. Even more importantly; it's crucial that you hire someone who is qualified and reputable. To assist you with the process, I've put together a list of things to considerand suggested steps to take in order to protect yourself to the greatest degree possible.
- Get Referrals-I recommend this with any contractor or home service. But, with this one, it's more important than ever. Getting a bad job here; will jeopardize your entire home. Ask neighbors, friends, relatives, or co-workers if they can recommend someone. Get as many as possible.
- Check Insurance-With some contractors, carrying liability insurance may not be necessary. But, with the potential damage to your home that could result from faulty work, it's an absolute must with roofing contractors. It's important that you verify the coverage as well. Call the agent or the insurer to make sure the coverage is current and check the dates.
- Get References-Ask the contractors for references, in your neighborhood if possible, so you can drive by and see the work. Then; call and question the homeowner. People will always be glad to tell you if they're unhappy. This could save you much misery and money.
- Use Someone Established-You may need warranty work at some point and it's important to know that the company you use, will still be in business. Using a small contractor is fine. Just make sure they've been around a while.
- Use A Local Company-In some instances, particularly after a natural disaster, there may be extremely high demand for contractors and your market may become flooded with out of town services. In the industry; these are known as storm chasers. With some trades, such as painting or drywall, this may be OK. But, with roofing, I would make every effort to use someone local; again for the warranty reason. If you do use an out-of-town company out of urgency, make sure you've done an extended and thorough investigation.
- Get Educated-Do some research about the process. Learn as much as you can about the different products, market prices, and common practices. Having even a small amount of knowledge of the process will enable you to make a wiser choice.
I hope these suggestions will be helpful with this crucial decision making process. This is, truly, one that can affect many other aspects of the home.
If you're looking for roofing contractors or other qualified service companies in your area; there's a great online source I recommend called
For just a few dollars a month, you'll get access to thousands of unbiased reviews from homeowners just like yourself. Contractors cannot pay to be on the list. So, there's no conflict of interest, and there is no long term commitment. You'll find everything from roofers, plumbers, and electricians to mechanics and doctors. For more information
return to Contractors from Roofing Contractors
go to YourselfHomeRepair.com homepage