Government Grants for Home Repair and Disaster Assistance From FEMA

Government Grants for home repair and other types of assistance are available through The Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, for homeowners affected by natural disasters. To receive money or help for "Housing Needs" that are the result of a disaster, all of the following must be true:

• You have losses in an area that has been declared a disaster by the president.

• You have filed for insurance benefits and the damage to your property is not covered by your insurance or your insurance settlement is insufficient to meet your losses.

• You or someone who lives with you is a citizen of the United States, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.

• The home in the disaster area is where you usually live and where you were living at the time of the disaster.

• You are not able to live in your home now, you cannot get to your home due to the disaster, or your home requires repairs because of damage from the disaster.

The following types of assistance are available for those who qualify:

• Temporary Housing (a place to live for a limited period of time): Money is available to rent a different place to live, or a government provided housing unit when rental properties are not available.

• Repair: Money is available to homeowners to repair damage from the disaster to their primary residence that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the damaged home safe, sanitary, and functional

• Replacement: Money is available to homeowners to replace their home destroyed in the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to help the homeowner with the cost of replacing their destroyed home.

• Permanent Housing Construction: Direct assistance or money for the construction of a home. This type of help occurs only in insular areas or remote locations specified by FEMA, where no other type of housing assistance is possible.

For help and advice on protecting your home during a natural disaster, check out our be your own contractor section or for help in in finding and hiring a contractor Click Here

For more information on FEMA assistance

return to Grants and Financing from Government grants For Home Repair
return to homepage